Welcome to the NSWVGA website, which provides information about veteran golfing activities at the State, Group and Club levels. Comments and suggestions on the content of this website are very welcome, and should be addressed to email@example.com.
NSW Veteran Golfers Association
The New South Wales Veteran Golfers Association is an organisation established in the 1980s to create opportunities for mature men and women to play golf with others of similar age and mindset. It provides a platform for increased social interaction, fellowship, camaraderie and fun among members in a healthy environment. Members meet new people and make friends for life while playing some of the best courses in regional NSW.
The Association has over 15,000 members, many of whom enjoy the 50+ Weeks of Golf and the 6 Championships played under the auspices of NSWVGA each year. In addition, many individual clubs conduct weekly Veterans events to satisfy the golfing needs of their members.
Weeks of Golf
The Weeks of Golf are normally held over 4 days, Monday to Friday, with Wednesday being a lay day. The format is different at each event but there is a mix of individual Stableford events and 2 or 4-person team events. The hospitality at these events is of the highest degree and you will certainly be made welcome by the locals.
Venues on the coast range from Tweed Heads in the North to Pambula/Merimbula in the South and inland from Rich River to Dubbo, Moree and Tenterfield and West to Broken Hill.
Grassroots Prize Scheme
The Grassroots Prize scheme provides prizes for member competitions at the Club and District level. The individual clubs or districts decide on the form and timing of the competitions. The vouchers provided by NSWVGA are drawn on local Pro-Shops or Retail businesses, as a way of feeding value into the local economy.
Over 400 vouchers are provided annually across the State, allocated to Clubs in proportion to their NSWVGA membership registrations, with a total value in excess of $10,000.
Benefits of Membership
• Experience the camaraderie, fellowship and fun with similar aged and like-minded people.
• Meet people from all walks of life, and make lifetime friends.
• Enjoy the social interaction while playing at the many Veteran clubs throughout Australia.
• Play some of the best golf courses in regional NSW at the veterans’ Weeks of Golf.
• Experience new golfing destinations in other states.
• Experience playing in Australian Veteran Golfers Union Championships held annually.
• Enjoy the health benefits of regular exercise. Dr Andrew Murray (Edinburgh University) said following research in 2016, ”evidence suggests golfers live longer than non – golfers, enjoying improvements in cholesterol levels, body composition, wellness and self-worth”.
How to join
To qualify as a member of the NSWVGA, you must have attained the age of 55 years for both men and women, you must be an amateur member of a registered golf club affiliated with Golf NSW or Golf Australia and you must have a Golf Australia handicap.
To become a member of the NSWVGA, golfers normally join through their local Group or Club – see the Groups & Clubs page of this website.